Pages

Monday 13 October 2014

EN: A Walk through Salzburg (Austria) with Children


Until our move to Zurich, Austria was - thanks to the small alpine village of Dienten - the closest I had to "home" in a German-speaking country. But although I have thus been in the Federal Land of Salzburg very many times, only now have I actually visited the city which gives it its name.

And yes, Salzburg is just as idyllic as my Czech grandmother always used to point out and that I, myself, have always imagined thanks to a "Sound of Music craze" in my youth. The only thing which surprised me was that the town is so small - our children happily walked around with us everywhere without complaining even once.

Conveniently we could park our car in a public parking inside one of the hills surrounding the historic nucleus and began with a guided tour up at the fortress of Hohensalzburg, where the splendid view was the strongest impression. After that, we visited the Cathedral (Dom) and the idyllic shopping street Getreidegasse to finally take the bridge over the river Salzach and reach the gardens around the castle of Mirabell.

Our children’s big learning point from this day tour is that tourism is not only positive. We were here in October - that is out of season - and still one of Salzburg's more eccentric characters was cycling around shouting that all tourists should go home. "Scheiss-Mozart" ("Bloody Mozart") he repeated again and again; as if he needed to pinpoint one human being as guilty for the situation. Guess if our now German speaking sons liked this additional epithet of the great 18th-century-composer!

 

 

 

 

- - -
Deutsche Version (kommt mit der Zeit…) 
Svensk version 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love feedback!