Pages

Saturday 1 March 2014

EN: Back on Skis in Dienten am Hochkönig in Austria


This year we have yet again been skiing in Dienten am Hochkönig (Salzburg, Austria). I write again, because throughout my life, I have visited this small village more than ten times, albeit only twice in the last twenty years.

Once upon a time Dienten actually played an important role in the development of my foreign languages. During my school years, this is where I once a year had one week's exposure to a German-speaking environment and that meant a lot for my motivation.

And it certainly felt wonderful to come back to a place where so many details have changed but the big picture is still so familiar. Seeing the mountain restaurant Fellersbach brought me great memories of how we, as secondary school students, used to meet up there for lunch. This time, however, we took our breaks from skiing at Liebenau Alm - strategically located next to the best children's slope! Not the same pace, but att least the same beer: Stiegl!

And I think that, from now on, we will be regular visitiors again. Compared with Switzerland, Austria is a lot cheaper while the lifts are more modern (in Dienten almost all T-bar lifts have been replaced with 4- to 6- chair lifts).

The little village Dienten am Hochkönig
The Alp Hochkönig in the sun
Spinach dumplings with a cheese sauce
Austrian potato hash: Gröstl
Tyrolerknödel (dumplings) with Sauerkraut
My last photo of the Austrian Alps: the train station in Saalfelden

- - -
Dienten am Hochkönig forms part of the skiing area Ski Amadé.

- - -
Deutsche Version 
Svensk version

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love feedback!