Pages

Monday 3 February 2014

EN: German Book Recommendation: "Blind Birds" by Ursula Poznanski

Recently I have begun to read crime novels in German. The suspense guarantees that you do not get bored. Non-demanding stories allow you to make use of the short moments you spend on Zurich trams and local trains. And the language does not require for you to hold a dictionary in the other hand... ;)

The first book I have read in this way is Blinde Vögel (Blind birds) by Ursula Poznanski. Here we follow Beatrice Kaspary at the Salzburg police while she investigates a series of particularly brutal murders, where the only thing which seems to unite the victims is that they belong to a Facebook group with a focus on poetry.;)

I found this novel easy to read and thanks to its well thought through plot, I recommend it for anyone who wants to practice their German. Personally, I had hoped that the story would also give a picture of Austria today, but apart from geographical references in Salzburg, I did not find that here. What I instead bring with me from the reading are images of a war whose horrors the author really managed to remind me of.

- - -
Blinde Vögel by Ursula Poznanski can be borrowed at the Pestalozzi libraries in Zurich.
- - -
Deutsche Version (kommt bald)
Svensk version

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love feedback!