Pages

Tuesday 10 December 2013

EN: Samichlaus, Schmutzli and Grittibänz


Last Friday, December 6, I should have written about Samichlaus – the Swiss version of the celebrations of open-handed Saint Nicholas. I should have described how he brings nuts, mandarines, gingerbread (Lebkuchen) and chocolate to good children, while his brother in arms Schmutzli threatens to put the evil ones in his sack.

But this is not what happened, although I constantly try to present us as a family of exemplary immigrants. Well, we have at least eaten a few Grittibänz – figures made of sweat dough, baked and sold for this day. So I hereby want to declare that we are not principally opposed to the tradition. We only lacked the time to learn about its intricacies right now. But that is perhaps just as bad... ;)

- - -
Deutsche Version
Svensk version

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love feedback!