Pages

Wednesday 27 November 2013

EN: Traditional Christmas Market by the Swedish Church of Zurich



Swedish Christmas markets with the expected sales of saffron buns (lussekatter) and hot dogs (varm korv med bröd) are by some perceived as so predictable that they simply also must be boring. Then take any nation specific tradition like this one, move it abroad and you might get something that emerges as entirely artificial. That is what I personally used to think, many years ago, when I spent my first Advent abroad. But I have learned to see things differently.

Last Saturday, we visited our first Christmas Market organized by the Swedish Church of Zurich and it turned out to be the highlight which I had wished for. Swedish ginger nuts (pepparkakor) are truly delicious, at least if you in November have not yet eaten a single one. It feels exotic to spend time selecting Swedish books for children, even if they happen to be second-hand. And it creates a tremendous sense of community when you - if only once a year - suddenly bump into all those fellow Swedes, whom you otherwise do not find the time to meet…



As if this was not enough, the Swedish Christmas Market in Zurich meets very high standards, when I compare it with our previous "destinations ", such as Bangkok and Barcelona. Already the many shrimp sandwiches (räkmackor) - or, rather, all the work it must have taken to prepare them - impressed me, so I had to buy one, although this is not a typical Christmas dish. That the Scandinavian Choir of Zurich, Nota Bene, is as good at singing as it is numerous contributed further to the ambience. And that the Swedish mulled wine (glögg) being sold was "homemade" added the finishing touch!

But what about my own role? Did I contribute to this Christmas Market or do I just sit here and evaluate it? You can be proud of me; rarely before have I carried so many chairs and tables as during this weekend! …And so I intend to do next year as well!







- - -
Deutsche Version 
Svensk version

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love feedback!