Pages

Sunday 29 September 2013

EN: From fluent to good, from good to beginner


In my CV I have, until now, classified myself as "soon fluent" or even "fluent" in German (Give me a little slack here, please!).

This picture of reality was somehow dented when I, recently, went to the job center RAV and the administrator, during our conversation in this language, classified me as "good".

All according to his scale, I was still able to have Swedish as my mother tongue (anything else would have been odd…), and be "very good" in English, Spanish, Czech and Catalan.

But with German as a reference point there in midfield (i.e. only "good", not "very good"), I had to move down my French, Russian and Polish to the level of a "beginner". I just wonder what my teachers of those languages would say about that... Well that was, after all, at the university and, in all honestly, more than a few weeks ago...

By the way, when the same administrator wanted my cell phone number, in German he asked for my Handynummer. Excuse me, but were we not supposed to say Natelnummer here in Switzerland? ;)

- - -
Deutsche Version 
Svensk version

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love feedback!